Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ? From Flying Solo, Australia’s solo & micro business community

It's always fun to go "down under" (Australia/NZ) to see what they're saying about accounting solutions, here we find a great site we would like to share with all our readers everywhere -  Flying Solo  Australia’s solo & micro business online community, with a discussion between Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ?  They say:


  #1 (Link to this post)  
 4 Days Ago
Forum regular
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
 Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ?

Hi all,

Anyone have any recommendations about cloud based accounting software ?
I have done my research and think that Xero is fabulous - but some of my potential small clients will think this is too expensive (as one has already said).

Another friend uses Sassu for her business - which I haven't been exposed to.

MYOB - I think is great but I haven't used Live Accounts which I assume is their product aimed to compete with Xero.

For our new business, we aim at marketing towards business from home - so not medium to large organisations.

Thanks
Stacey__________________
  #2 (Link to this post)  
Old 4 Days Ago
Brent@Ontrax's Avatar
Forum regular
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northbridge - 5 min from Sydney CBD
Posts: 233
Thanks: 6
Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Brent@Ontrax
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default Re: Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ?

I still use an Old version of MYOB on my Desktop machine, as that is enough for me, but I have friends and Clients using either Xero or MYOB. The Xero people are happy and the MYOB people wish they didn't have MYOB and say that a few Macros in Excel would be just as effective.

Don't just look at them as an Invoicing System, as they'll all do that, but look at whatever else it is that you require and what it do do for you. Customer Details, Purchasing, Reports, whatever you need.

Brent

  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 3 Days Ago
WhatsThePlanDan's Avatar
Forum regular
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Burwood East VIC
Posts: 89
Thanks: 8
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default Re: Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ?

I used MYOB in one of my previous businesses - and hated it. Like Brent says, I found if I wanted information to measure (and try to save) my business I had to export everything to Excel and do it myself (and I work in Business Intelligence and write reports, dashboards and things like that all the time). I also hated how complicated it was if I wanted to do anything myself.

For my other business I used Xero - and LOVED IT! It was clean, easy to use. I still couldn't get all the info I needed in the format I wanted but as it was a different business type and model it didn't bother me as much (I'm just overly fussy about information usage given my background). I love that it is simple and quick to use and even a complete novice would find it hard to completely stuff their accounts up. You can't forget to back it up, don't have to send backups to accountants, etc... and with all the add-ons available now (I used it back in its quite early days - they didn't even import all banks transactions then!) I'm sure you can even lick the need for additional reporting.

For my next business, I want to go with Xero but am also struggling to fit the cost into my budget - I'm thinking I'll just need to get a bigger hammer though as it really is a great tool. I particularly like the way it can integrate into all the other systems I intend on using in the business.

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Daniel
  #4 (Link to this post)  
Old 3 Days Ago
Forum newcomer
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ?

I have always used and loved MYOB. Their customer service is amazing and they are regularly updating their software.
There are MYOB forums and advisors that can help you with absolutely everything.
Good luck with your choice.

Kelly Robinson - Business Advisor/Facilitator
www.sydneybusiness.org.au 0468 609 092
Small Biz Connect on the Northern Beaches
A NSW government program

  #5 (Link to this post)  
Old 3 Days Ago
Forum regular
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 194
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to IT Advocate
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Re: Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ?

I've been using Xero for quite some time now. My experience has been fantastic. My accountant is a MYOB only type person, so I have a XERO consultant who I call on from time to time.

The speed is fantastic, never had any lag issues. I can really say I have never had one issue with Xero. The bank feed works well, as does the custom templates.
John Cirocco - ITAdvocate.com.au
IT Sales & Support Services Adelaide -08 8121 3030
make better IT decisions

  #6 (Link to this post)  
Old 2 Days Ago
Forum newcomer
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ?

Xero seems to be the one that is really investing in development. Automatic banks imports, reports generators... just seems to be designed to work online.

MYOB seems to be dated and they are just sitting on their recurring income charging fat fees for simple updates and trusting people will be too lazy to change.

Take all this with a pinch of salt as I only know about this as my partner is an accountant and we talk about the various software out there. I'm no expert but I've looked at all three of these superficially at least.
__________________
UTX - Google Analytics Training
Upcoming classes - Sydney April 15th-16th
Generous Commission for any Referrals - Contact Me
  #7 (Link to this post)  
Old 2 Days Ago
lofo lofo is offline
Forum newcomer
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 40
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ?

If you google 'MYOB problems' I think you'll get a consensus that MYOB is a frustrating system. From my own perspective, I think it just cannot overcome its ancient heritage - the Live product should have started from scratch and ditched all the 80s rubbish code that's in there, although I understand MYOB have an existing user base to support. Technicaly, it's a disaster. Customers of mine who have moved from MYOB to Xero have nothing but praise for the Xero product, although bear in mind it, like MYOB it's functionally very simple. Both are nothing more than basic book-keeping systems and are no more sophisticated than any other basic double-entry accounting system. Xero can get expensive once you rent new modules, but its implementation of SaaS in the cloud is so superior to MYOB's Live it's not funny. I expect MYOB to continue to fade away as its customers eventually make the leap away from the problems many of them have had to put up with for years.

MYOB can still be OK for one-man-band busineses, but as soon as you get larger, its technical deficiencies become more and more evident.

Personally, I use a free (GNU) system called 'FrontAccounting'. It's good for a hacker like me, has great inventory control and billing/customer management, operates from the web (so you can get at it anywhere). It's more sophisticated than either MYOB or Xero, but it's not as 'user friendly'. You need a good understanding of accounting to operate it effectively. The only other downside to it is support - it's based in Europe and you could have difficulty getting support for it, although the guys that run it are fantastic. It's completely free, so if that matters to you, check it out.

In the race between MYOB and Xero, it looks like Xero is leaving MYOB for dead - I think MYOBs massive existing user base is the only thing keeping it alive at the moment. If I were starting a business, I'd go nowhere near MYOB, and start with Xero. If I were running MYOB, I'd begin from scratch, and spend investment money in migrating existing customers off the technically disastrous mess they have at the moment.

  #8 (Link to this post)  
Old 2 Days Ago
Forum newcomer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTX Training View Post
Xero seems to be the one that is really investing in development. Automatic banks imports, reports generators... just seems to be designed to work online.

MYOB seems to be dated and they are just sitting on their recurring income charging fat fees for simple updates and trusting people will be too lazy to change.

Take all this with a pinch of salt as I only know about this as my partner is an accountant and we talk about the various software out there. I'm no expert but I've looked at all three of these superficially at least.
Hi UTX Training,

I'm Aishah from MYOB.

Actually we are investing a lot into our products, whether desktop and cloud.
We had massive updates last year. We launched our second cloud product, AccountRight Live, introduced Bank Feeds, among others.

And we will be getting more and more of our product range online, including cloud software for accounting practices.

I think traditionally, our customers have always been on desktop, that there is a perception we haven't moved forward. But we are all for the cloud, and are focused on improving in terms of speed and performance.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up. It's always interesting to get feedback and see what the public perception is.

Cheers,
Aishah

  #9 (Link to this post)  
Old 2 Days Ago
Forum newcomer
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOB Official View Post
Hi UTX Training,

I'm Aishah from MYOB. 
Thanks for the comment, Aishah. As I say, I am no expert just echoing what I hear from the accountants I know who have chatted with me about accountancy software.

How many developers do you have on MYOB currently? I hear accountants saying that there are high charges for simple, but necessary, annual updates. Is this true? Are you going to develop a fairer pricing model?
__________________
UTX - Google Analytics Training
Upcoming classes - Sydney April 15th-16th
Generous Commission for any Referrals - Contact Me

Old 1 Day Ago
Forum regular
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mays Hill, NSW
Posts: 98
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Sassu vs Xero vs MYOB ?

I use MYOB & hate it - but it's the pick of a particularly bad bunch.
You can visit "Flying Solo" here for an update on that discussion -  We would encourage everyone interested in small business in that part of the world to make that site a regular place to visit!  Lots of good information there.  

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    It's really interesting reading all of the above posts. I work for Reckon, the developers of QuickBooks in Australia. As of April 2013 QuickBooks in Australia has been renamed Reckon Accounts.

    In May this year we are launching a new cloud accounting solution, to be known as Reckon One. It is very different from anything currently available and we'd love you to see it. It's customisable and you only pay for the functionality you need. It's been in development for some time and will be unveiled at launch events in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. If you're interested in attending one of the free launch events you can find more information here http://goo.gl/Yr4nb

    Regards

    Gerald

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to tell you that I LOVE your podcasts. Every time I listen, I learn so many useful things and most importantly thank you for
    educating us with this article!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has filing your tax return or handling documents and understanding statements become unmanageable? Get our assistance and make the entire process of the tax return in Melbourne effortless. The 100% accuracy in our work protects you from penalties that are a leading problem in tax returns. Hence, feel free to visit us or contact us during office hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buying a new home is exciting and there are a lot of people who are doing it. But you can never have a home of yours without a home loan. Considering the best option for your home is a tough task. We have a team of the best home loan brokers to help you in this matter. Once you go to the official website Accounts NextGen and browse the home loan Melbourne section, you can find the best deal in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete