Thursday, June 6, 2013

Do you use Quickbooks Online? Here are 4 clever tricks you might not know about / From how to open multiple windows, work with multiple companies and share attached documents, here's how to make life easier using QuickBooks Online.

Stacy Kildal for BIT writes: Since QuickBooks Online is a new offering to Australia, I wanted to share some navigation tips that I’ve learned over the years, using the US version.  

1. How to use Multiple Windows in QuickBooks Online:

This is one that I am asked about often, and see in quite a few of the online forums. By using CTRL + N (or, on a Mac, CMD + N), you are able to open a new window. There are different results, depending on the browser that you are using.
If you’re using Internet Explorer, you’ll already be logged into a QBO screen. With Firefox and Chrome, you’ll have to type the QBO URL into the address bar, but you won’t need to enter your username and password. Another option, and the one that I use often, is to open a new tab in the current browser window. Just right click on the tab you’re in, and then click duplicate.
I know, I know – the first thing everyone says is: “But what if I need to see reports side by side?. When I need that, I just pull the tab out into it’s own window, and when I’m done, I put it back. Having used all of the browsers with QBO, I’ve found that Chrome handles this best.

2. Working with Multiple Companies:

One way to do this is to use multiple browsers, but since QBO really does work best in Chrome, I don’t recommend it.
To get around this, you need to make use of Users in Chrome. Once you add an additional user, you can open up a browser window for each user and login to QBO separately.

3. QBO in the Chrome App Store:

 At first, I thought: so what? I usually just type in qbonline.com into my browser and I’m off and running when I login to QuickBooks Online. You’re probably all thinking the same thing: wouldn’t clicking one big fat icon be easier than typing in the URL? Um. Yes.

See that? You just click on it. Soooo much easier.
And you have options as to how you want it to open:
You have it open as a regular tab, a pinned tab (this is just a little bitty tab that only has the favicon, and no text) or in this case, full screen for my Mac. I use this when I have many many tabs open to save real estate.
This is what a pinned tab looks like – isn’t it cute?
Find it in the Chrome App Store.

4. Document Management for QBO (well, sort of):

This is absolutely brilliant, and I would love to take the credit for it. But I can’t, so I’ll try not to dwell on it. QuickBooks Online only allows users to attach documents to certain transactions, and I like to have access to signed customer engagement letters, or supplier insurance certificates. You could use something likewww.SOSInventory.com to do it, but if you don’t have inventory, that’s sort of useless, and there’s a FREE work around - Google Docs.
Considering that I use Google Docs all the time - to share data with clients (I have a time card that I use for one of my payroll clients), budgets (I use a Google Doc spreadsheet to keep track of our household’s monthly budgets), file share/transfer (I can upload a file that’s too big to email to send to a client, then share it with them), I’m so bummed I didn’t think of this myself, but I think I read it on a QBO blog. But I need to let it go, right? And just get on with the telling of what it is? In the words of my fellow www.RadioFreeQB.com host, Woody Adams: “right on”.
You can upload the document to Google Docs, where it will have a unique web address. You can change share settings to anyone with the link or specific users. In the example below I chose anyone with a link:
You can always make it private, and then each person accessing it would need a Google account to open the document. An example of how it can be used would be on an Estimate - maybe you’ve scanned the signed approval from your customer and uploaded it. You can enter the link in the memo field (the customer doesn’t see this) and have quick access to the document from QBO:
That’s it for now. I have more to share, but I think this is a good start!

0 comments:

Post a Comment