Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Why Xero doesn't work for my small business...

Paul Horner at Xero Business Community has a problem, he writes: Having spent a lot of time getting to know how to use Xero (and in the most part, liking it), I am approaching the 6 month mark with the software and unfortunately there is one issue which makes me wonder if i can continue with it. 

The issue is with 'usual payment' types to my suppliers. We pay some suppliers by electronic bank transfer (BACS), others are taken automatically by direct debit / standing order etc.

The problem is that Xero has no way of linking this to the contact, so every time I come to pay a bill, I have to remember whether or not it is direct debit etc. I have already mistakenly paid bills by BACS which were then subsequently taken by direct debit. Xero does not handle this well at all.

This info needs to be tied to the contact and displayed when creating a bill and also a column for it shown in the Bills>Awaiting Payment screen.

My current get around is to put the info at the end of the reference field in the bill e.g.

<bill no.> D/D

…but again it relies on memory to know who is paid by what method as it is not always shown on the bill.

I know other people copy previous bills and handle it that way but I find that very tedious. 

It's a very simple issue and a very simple fix for Xero, but with all the change requests they get I doubt very much whether it will ever get implemented. I did submit it as a request myself but there are so many that it soon disappears off the page and goes unnoticed.

I so wish they would sort this. I would have thought it's no more than a minor tweak to add this as a database field. I don't know if they have a 'development matrix' where they take ease of implementation into consideration against no. of votes etc. But if they don’t, they should!

It's really ruining a great piece of software for me.

-
Visit Xero Community Blog here to join this discussion...

0 comments:

Post a Comment